Rescue for River Runners (R3)
Professional (Level 2)
Length: 2 days on the river
The focus of this 2 day course is on the necessary knowledge and skills for the more experienced outdoor recreationists and professional paddling and guiding communities to “play safe” while on technical rivers (class III and higher). R3-Pro is tailored to the specific needs of paddlers, their equipment, and the environment they are in. There is no classroom session as this course assumes prior river knowledge from all participants. This course is not NFPA Compliant nor will it meet the needs of professional groups such as fire or field services.
- 18+ years of age (16-17 with parental permission)
- Basic swimming ability
- In good physical condition
- Ability to paddle or raft class 2 or 3 water
- R3 Rec or proof of similar experience or training
- Drysuit or wetsuit (wetsuit rentals available)
- Personal flotation device (provided)
- Water-sports helmet (provided)
- Neoprene gloves (optional)
- Neoprene footwear with a good walking sole, wading boots, or running shoes
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Layers of wool or fleece clothing for under the drysuit/wetsuit including sweater, pants, gloves, socks
- To develop a sense of confidence and necessary skills for those who work or play in a swiftwater environment.
- Familiarize and train the student in utilization of standard paddling gear in rescue situations.
- Develop ability to self rescue and rescue others in moving water situations.
- To learn how to safely negotiate situations where river access or egress if difficult or complex.
- To develop the leadership skills required to facilitate a complex river rescue.
R3 Pro Course Outline
Day 1: River Session
- A review of key concepts
- Site safety assessment
- Advanced river signals and communication
- Advanced live bait rescue applications
- Tension diagonal
- Whitewater swimming skills
- Advanced river hydrology and hazards
- Complex foot and body entrapment
- Combat and rescue swimming
- River craft specific rescue
- Advanced rope work including descending and raising skills
Day 2: River Session
- Review of key concepts
- Site safety assessment
- Rope work for complex wraps, pins, and flips
- Compound and complex mechanical advantage
- Technical problem (swiftwater rescue scenario)
- Rescue 3’s River Rescue manual
- Personalized skill sheet (training record) signed by the instructor (valuable document for risk management)
- Registration of training record in Rescue 3’s international database
- Wallet card with personal Rescue 3 registration number and date of certification
- Certificate of Completion
**Course description taken from Raven Rescue**