Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA)
Location: PaddleFoot Lodge
Length: 40 hours over 4 days
|Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) introduces you to backcountry medicine and wilderness medical protocols. Specifically designed for the unique demands of remote settings, this course focuses on three areas. First, how to treat injuries when you are hours or days from a hospital. Second, you will learn how to give care in extreme environments of cold, heat, or altitude. Finally this course focuses on working with limited equipment and improvising. The course highlights preventative measures for environmental challenges and over use injuries.
- No Prerequisites and Includes Heartsaver CPR
- Long Term Care of the Sick and Injured
- Improvisation Skills
- Patient Packaging and Evacuation Techniques
- Hands-on training and simulations with theatrical make-up and video feedback
- Wilderness Medical Protocols: Anaphylaxis Treatment including injection training, Advanced Wound Management, Modified CPR, Spinal Assessment
Who is the WAFA for?
- PaddleFoot assistant guides
- Group Leaders on Local excursions and short trips
- AECSKG and CRC Trip Leaders qualification
- Assistant Group Leaders for more remote trips